Saturday, March 21, 2009

All Right, So I Finally Saw Slumdog Millionaire



As I've written before, I was going to wait years before watching Slumdog Millionaire for fear that all that hype would taint my viewing pleasure (as they like to say). But last night, we were presented with an exceedingly rare date night, and there was no way in hell I was going to convince the wife to see The Wrestler. So, I saw it. I hate to say it, but my previous verdict was somewhat right and somewhat wrong.

I tried my damnedest to clear all the hype from my gullet before watching, but I can't say I totally succeeded. Even still, I liked Slumdog enough. I guess if Danny Boyle hadn't totally ripped off City of God's opening scene for Slumdog's or hadn't ripped off the former's cinematography, I would've liked the latter better. I mean, I turned to my wife, and asked, "Where's the chicken?" SM was visually stunning, but CoG was first. I also think, if my wife weren't in the international development field and I haven't been inundated with stories of poverty and absolute barbarity, I probably would've been more effected by the film.

As it was, I thought the storytelling was quite inventive. The childhood part of the story had me riveted. Just when I was starting to get bored, they wrapped it up. And who the hell doesn't like a feel-good movie every once in awhile? So yeah, I liked it. I don't necessarily see what all the hubbub was about, though. City of God was only seven years ago.

I'll tell ya what's not overrated, though. Date night with the wife. We should definitely have more of those. Anybody up for babysitting Poohbutt? She's a hoot-and-a-half!

1 comment:

nunya said...

A date? Wow, that's cool.

Can you tell I've been with the same guy for 15 years?

Make sure you take her out every time you can, her job sounds incredibly hard.