Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'm Devastated -- Jon Swift Has Passed


I just caught the headline, Rest In Peace, Jon Swift over at Blue Gal. I didn't know the guy, but I loved his blog, Jon Swift. It was a wickedly funny journal of faux-conservative writing, a real satire's satire. He was also one of the progenitors of Blog Roll Amnesty Day, and he immediately linked to me and was one of the earliest Tome followers. He made me really feel like this blogosphere could be somewhat of a family. I read him religiously, laughing with every syllable, until he mysteriously stopped blogging last March.

Anyway, apparently, Jon, or rather, Al Weisel, died on February 27. His mother posted this on his last post on Swift:

I don't know how else to tell you all who love this blog. I am Jon Swift's Mom and I guess I'm going to OUT him. He was Al Weisel, my beloved son. Al was on his way to his father's funeral in VA when he suffered 2 aortic aneurysms, a leaky aortic valve and an aortic artery dissection from his heart to his pelvis. He had 3 major surgeries within 24 hours and sometime during those surgeries also suffered a severe stroke. We, his 2 sisters, his brother, his partner and his best friend since he was 9 years old were with him as he took his last breath. We have all lost a shining start who warmed our hearts, tormented us and made us laugh as he giggled at our pulling something over on us. He passed away on February 27, 2010. My beloved child will live on in so many hearts. I miss him more than I can say. If you are on Facebook, go to organizations and join "Friends of Al Weisel, Unite!" It will give you just a taste of how special he was. Farewell, Jon (Al)


Read Tom Watson's touching tribute here.

As I said, I didn't know the guy, but I really do feel that the blogosphere has lost a giant. Rest in peace.

For the rest of you, do yourselves a favor, and check out his work. It truly was brilliant.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I visited his blog a few times and, at first, didn't catch the satire. Sorry to hear of the death of any important blogger. RIP, Al/Jon.