Hey yall, last week, Willis over at Old & N the Way gave me this award! Thanks, Willis. It was great timing on your part. I was going through yet another one of those angst-ridden moments when I was questioning the wisdom of my chosen vocation and the quality of my participation within that vocation. Your incredibly kind words took the whiskey bottle and revolver out of my hands and cheered me right up. So, whatever happens henceforth is all your fault.
1. You must brag about the award.
2. You must include the name of the blogger who gave you the award and link back to that blogger.
3. You must choose a minimum of seven blogs that you find brilliant in content or design
4. Show their names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with this award.
5. List at least ten honest things about yourself.
.........then pass it on with the instructions!
Well, I've actually fallen off a bit in roaming the blogosphere since Poohbutt went into daycare and I went into work. And, oddly enough, my little Health Care Stories Project made me even more removed. However, I am taking this prestigious honor seriously and have compiled a list of blogs I like while not repeating my Superior Scribbler Award recipients. And just so you know, just like Willis, I love all the blogs on my blog roll and strongly encourage everyone to visit those hard wukkers as well. Sorry for the brevity ... but I'm late for work.
1. Distributorcap NY I really appreciate his intellect. There's so much snark and sniping on the internet, but D-Cap really gives thought into what he writes. He also has a lot of fun with Photoshop!
2. Black Women, Blow the Trumpet Lisa also makes you put on your thinking cap with her posts. I love people who make me think. I love this blog. I also love the fact that I'm one of the few men allowed to leave comments.
3. Funky 16 Corners You may not know this, but I'm a little bit of a music junkie. And I love me some rare funk and R&B. This is your internet source. I learn a lot here. The ultimate crate diggers!!!
4. O Hell Nawl! Everything about these folks is just wrong! And this blog is oh ... so ... right. They are some crazy negroes. The crazy aunt you hope doesn't get drunk during any family gathering. Here's today's headline: "China wants you to eat a dick." See what I'm sayin'?
5. These Bastards These guys are pretty damned wrong, too. But a lot more political. Their snark is packed full of razors, and they slice in such an hysterical way, I always have to go to their blog for my daily dose. Besides, they, too, love the Penguins!
6. Zaius Nation Not my favorite ape (that honor, of course, goes to Caesar in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) but definitely one of my favorite blogs. Dr. Zaius is too hysterical for words.
7. The Failed Experiment This is my little brother's blog (he hates it when I call him that). I don't give the man enough credit, but he's really talented and funny. Being 13 years younger than yours truly and way more into pop culture, I don't know about half the stuff he talks about, but I enjoy the blog anyway. He's turning into a really good uncle for our Pooh, and, to be honest, I love the guy. I know, cue Riley: "Ooh, nigga, you gay!"
Now, 10 things about me:
1. After much prodding and pestering from friends, families, and associates, I started this blog having been convinced that it would sell books. I don't think this blog has sold a single copy.
2. I don't know why I listen to people.
3. Buy my books! My Booty Novel for a nice, breezy, funny book about friends, relationships, and starting over in your 30s. Sunshine Patriots if you're into semi-satirical science fiction about how you can never win a war of occupation. Apparently, it also helps if you're a literature professor--as I like to say, "It's a book only a literature professor can love!"
4. I think that last one was my first foray into shameless self-promotion. How did I do?
5. Though I'm a writer, my biggest influences are generally musicians--and I can't play a note. Further evidence that I am indeed wired wrong.
6. All my life I never pictured myself as much of a family man, but I gotta admit, it's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever done.
7. I'm probably the only native-born American you know who has been deported from two countries.
8. I can be moody as hell--but age has definitely mellowed me out.
9. Despite all the 21st century hype, I truly believe that literature is the only "interactive" medium we really have. It's the only form where the audience truly participates and interprets every single moment of their experience.
10. I know it sounds corny, but I feel really fortunate in the people I've been surrounded with throughout my life. Life can be enhanced or diminished by the people around you. I've been lucky enough to have been born into a very supportive and loving family, to have crafted one of my own, and to have befriended some cool-ass fools who have supported me in the worst of times and have provided me with some of the best.