Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Think I'm Wired Wrong


OK, I didn't get to see all of the MJ Memorial Service yesterday. I got it probably from the halfway point on. My tear ducts are clogged (God, I wish I were joking) so I didn't cry through any of it, but I found it touching and in good taste until the end.

Now, this is why I'm wondering if I'm just a right bastard or way too cynical or I like stabbing little kittens in my sleep, or something. Because, while everyone else thought that Paris Jackson's tearful speech at the end was touching and sent the crowd weeping, I was thinking something completely different.

Not that it wasn't touching and not that I don't feel bad for the girl and her brothers in losing their sociological father. It's just that they're the keys to the billion-dollar kingdom and we all know how trifling the Jackson family has been in leeching off their Michael.

It's just that here was this emotionally wracked girl, crying her heart out, and the entire family's in the background prompting, "Speak louder. Speak into the microphone."

Call me a cynic, but I viewed the family's handling of that girl as their opening salvo in the bloody custody battle to come. What makes me really suspicious is the fact that Brother Al was on CNN last night talking about "And I think you couldn't script that. She's not reading a prompter."

Uh ... huh.

Well, I hope I'm wrong -- for the sake of Paris and her sibs and for MJ's legacy.

4 comments:

a.eye said...

Interesting take on the girl's speaking. I started to wonder the same thing. Was she used to show that they love her? To show that she should be with them? To show that she is real? Or for some secret motivation to introduce her to the world for future gains?

King Mut - Where Dogs Reign Supreme! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shani said...

I think that too much is being made of the custody situation. There was a will, and it was clear. A judge would need a preponderance of evidence to contradict Michael's wishes. Paris's affection for her relatives, particularly Auntie Janet, seemed genuine. I'm not sure they can help their instincts to be performing, all the time. After all, it's how they were raised. Personally, I just hope the same doesn't happen to those children.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

I saw the memorial... she was not crying at all when she approached the mic...

She started crying AFTER she was speaking. It appeared that she wanted to speak and that it wasn't planned at all...